History Graduate Student Association
We Are Virginia Tech
As students of Virginia Tech’s History MA program, we are historians-in-training from across the country. We come to VT with a broad range of experiences and skills and from a wide variety of backgrounds. Our decision to pursue rigorous scholarship and a career in history unites us both on campus and beyond. We are the Virginia Tech History Graduate Student Association, and this is our story.
Why We Are Here
This two-year MA program offered us the option to design a program with our career goals in mind.
- Public History: If we are interested in public history, we add a graduate certificate in public history to our MA degree.
- Education: To work as K-12 educators, some of us pursue two degrees — an MA in History and an MA in Curriculum and Instruction. They work toward dual MA degrees in history and in education.
- Stepping Stone to a Professional Degree: Some of us see our History MA as a springboard to a PhD program, a law degree, or library science.
What it Means to be One of Us
As students, we actively engage with history on a daily basis in our classes, through our individual research projects, and as Graduate Assistants, and as Public History interns.
- As Researchers: For many of us, writing a thesis is the gateway to graduation. Others choose a more focused project and additional course work. But we are all researchers and writers who work collaboratively and independently to interpret the past.
- As Graduate Assistants: Most of us entered graduate school fully-funded with graduate assistantships and tuition waivers. We work closely with faculty members as Teaching Assistants for undergraduate classes and as Research Assistants on new projects. Many of us also have the unique chance to serve as editors of the Virginia Tech Undergraduate History Review, as archival assistants in the library’s Special Collections, or as school outreach assistants with the Virginia Tech Center for Civil War Studies.
- As Interns: If public history is our passion, we pursue internships as part of our MA program. And some of us created videos about our experiences. See them on our HGSA YouTube channel.